Do you usually start your day with coffee? Then get perked up with coffee butter – brimming with alluring dark chocolate notes and walnut nuttiness, it’s scrumptious when spread on cakes, muffins, toasts, rusks and crackers. Try it on toasted banana nut slices.
Total time: 20 minutes
A: Coffee Mixture
60ml heavy or double cream
2 teaspoons Cafédirect Machu Picchu Terroir Freeze Dried Coffee granules or instant coffee of choice
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons safflower or canola oil
A pinch of sea salt
125g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature*
1. In a medium saucepan, warm up heavy or double cream over low-medium heat until just heated through. Do not let it boil.
2. Add coffee granules and stir until it melts.
3. Add sugar (omit if using coffee butter for steaks), oil and salt. Stir for about 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Allow it to cool.
4. Using a whisk, beat butter until creamy. Add it into the cooled coffee mixture. Mix until it is smoothly blended in.
5. Transfer mixture into a dish (glass, ceramic or stainless steel). Chill in fridge for 3 to 4 hours.
6. Take it out of the fridge; allow coffee butter to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes until it becomes soft and spreadable.
TIP: To ensure freshness, store coffee in a cool, dry pantry, away from light. Do not refrigerate as the volatile nature of natural coffee aroma diminishes with changes in temperature.
*To soften cold butter from the fridge, cut it into cubes and let it stand for 10 minutes.
Award-winning Cafédirect is a leading social enterprise and fair trade beverage company whose operations positively impacts 1.8 million people across 12 developing countries.
You might also want to try these Whip It UP! recipes:
Click on www.storm.sg/food for more recipes and reviews of restaurants.
If you have a simple recipe you would like to share, do email it to email@example.com