Oatmeal Breakfast Porridge
By Alicia Ting Chow
Some consider it the most important meal, since it gets your day going. So, you might as well put some effort into it. Don’t just take oatmeal out of a can, put some thought and care into it.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
A: For The Oatmeal
1½ cups (135g) rolled oats
1 tablespoon white chia seeds
1 tablespoon goji (kei chi) berries
2½ cups (625ml) coconut milk
¼ cup (60ml) extra coconut milk, optional
B: To Garnish
1 date, seeded
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
4 black berries, sliced in two
2 strawberries, sliced thickly
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil
Half thumb-sized fresh turmeric, grated
1. In a medium glass mixing bowl, mix A ingredients (oats, chia seeds, goji berries and coconut milk) together. Put in the microwave oven for three minutes on high heat or until the oats have softened. Alternatively, opt for instant oats.
2. Soak it in coconut milk and set it aside for 10 minutes until it has softened. For a softer texture, add another quarter cup (60ml) of coconut milk.
3. Using a wooden spoon, stir the porridge mixture gently until well combined. Divide between two medium deep plates.
4. Top with assorted fruit and pumpkin seeds. For each plate, drizzle porridge with one tablespoon of honey, followed by one teaspoon of virgin coconut oil.
5. Garnish with a pinch of grated turmeric for aromatic earthy flavours.
6. Serve immediately.
When grating the turmeric, wear plastic gloves to avoid getting your fingers stained. Wash grater immediately with warm water after use.