Satay Goreng with Ketupat
By Deputy Executive Chef Daniel Teo, and Sous Chef Muhammad Aslam, CulinaryOn
Cooking time: 30mins
20 pieces fresh coconut leaf (young)
150g shallots (roughly chopped)
20g garlic (roughly chopped)
160g galangal root (peeled and roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dry coriander
1 teaspoon dry fennel seeds
2 teaspoon dry cumin seeds
2 tablespoon palm sugar
2 tablespoon fish sauce
560g boneless chicken thigh (cubed with skin on)
1. Soak rice for 30minutes and drain.
2. Fold coconut leaves into ketupats.
3. Fill ketupats up to ¾ with soaked rice.
4. Close up the ketupat, and tie two together.
5. Cook them in boiling water for 2 to 4 hours. [Remember to check the pot periodically to top up water when necessary.]
Alternatively, you can also cook the ketupats in the rice cooker.
For Satay Goreng:
1. Put marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
2. Combine the chicken cubes with the spice paste in a large bowl. [You can choose to let the chicken marinate in the fridge for up to two hours.]
3. Fry chicken pieces in a wok or pan with a little oil over a medium to high heat until golden brown with caramelised edges.
4. Plate and serve with ketupats on the side.