Tuna Ceviche with Grilled Salmon (Sea-Ngulaw)
By Chef Sharwin Tee, Cookbook Author and Cooking Show Host
Grilled Salmon shines in Sea-Nuglaw, Chef Sharwin’s scrumptious variation of the popular Filipino dish, Sinuglaw, a raw marinated fish salad often paired with grilled pork.
Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 persons
A: Kinilaw (Tuna Ceviche)
150g tuna, cut into small cubes
1 under-ripe mango*, peeled and julienned
1 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
1 chilli padi, chopped
185 ml (¾ cup) coconut vinegar
Thumb-size ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
2 calamansi, juiced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
B: Sugba (Grilled Salmon)
150g salmon fillets, cut into fingers
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
1 tablespoon banana catsup or tomato ketchup
Butterfly pea flowers, optional
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine catsup/ketchup, vinegar and fish sauce under B to marinate the salmon. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In another mixing bowl, combine marinade under A. Allow tuna to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Heat up a non-stick saucepan over high heat. Grill salmon until fully cooked, about 2 minutes each side.
4. To assemble the dish, divide the ceviche between 2 serving plates. Top with freshly grilled salmon. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with the blue flowers, if desired. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Coconut vinegar is available at Filipino shops, Lucky Plaza in Singapore. Alternatively, use apple-cider vinegar.
*TIP: The mango is still firm to the touch, with yellow flesh underneath green skin that tastes sour and a little tart.
FiIipino Chef Sharwin Tee is the chef and host of Curiosity Got the Chef, on the Lifestyle Network. Best known for his quirky and innovative twists on traditional Filipino and Chinese cuisines, the cookbook author recently launched his memoir entitled So, You Want To Be A Chef.
You might also want to try these Whip It UP! recipes:
Click on www.storm.sg/food for more recipes and reviews of restaurants.
If you have a simple recipe you would like to share, do email it to [email protected]