No need to make multiple trips daily to the supermarket for fresh vegetables. Gather up whatever greens you can scrounge in the fridge. Toss them together into an assorted vege dish to bulk up on fibre. Poke your nose around the pantry and if there’s XO sauce, crown greens with a generous dollop for a spicy kick.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3-4 persons
120g long beans, cut into 5cm lengths
90g stink beans, optional
90g French beans, stems removed & cut into 5cm lengths
2 small bittergourds, around 110g, seeded & thinly sliced
5 ladies fingers, around 90g, cut into 1cm lengths
B: Oil & Seasoning
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon fish sauce
Pinch of salt
C: XO Scallop Floss
2 tablespoons XO dried scallop topping, store-bought, optional
1. Soak stink beans in water for at least 10 minutes. See technique.
2. Prepare all vegetables and place them on a platter.
3. Heat up oil in a wok or frypan over medium heat. Add in garlic. Cook for a few seconds, until aromatic.
4. Next toss in long beans; cook for 1 minute. Pour in water and put the lid on. Let beans steam for 3 minutes.
5. Add in stink beans, continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Next, put in French beans. Cook 2 minutes.
6. Add in bittergourd and stirfry for 1 minute.
7. Finally, add in ladies fingers and cook for a final minute. Pour in fish sauce. Add salt to taste.
8. Transfer to a serving plate. Enjoy it as is.
9. For a spicy version, spoon 1-2 scoops of XO scallop floss over vegetables.
10. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
BUYING TIP: The smaller cultivar used in this recipe is darker green and more bitter than its larger counterpart. Opt for the less bitter gourd if desired.
TECHNIQUE: Soaking stink beans plumps them up and adds a crunch.
Photos: Evonne Lyn Lee
Click on STORM-Asia/food for more recipes and reviews of restaurants.
If you have a simple recipe to share, please email it email@example.com.
You may like to try these recipes:
Chinese Sausage Omelette, Fritata Style