Valentine’s Day Orange Cake. Photo: Shiokman Eddie
By Shiokman Eddie
Perfect for Valentine’s Day that’s just around the corner! Heart-shaped, freshly baked orange-scented butter cake. Cooked in this alluring Nordic Bundt pan, this confection will definitely warm the cockles of your sweetheart! The whiff of love is in the air.
Total time: 2 hours
Cost: < $15
Serves: 8 persons
A: Cake Batter
250 g unsalted butter
200 g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
250 g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
B: Orange Flavour
Grated orange zest from 2 oranges
120 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
2 Tbsp brandy
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Prepare a Bundt pan: using a pastry brush, grease inside of cake pan with the extra softened butter taking care to coat every crevice.
3. Sieve the extra flour into the pan to coat the inside. Knock out any excess flour. Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer or large mixing bowl until pale yellow, light and fluffy.
4. Crack in 1 egg at a time. Beat well until incorporated.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, sieve self-raising flour, baking powder and salt together.
6. Fold flour mixture, one spoon at a time, gently into butter mixture.
7. Add zest to the batter. Pour in orange juice, followed by vanilla extract and brandy (optional). Mix well.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap cake pan against a hard surface to remove any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
9. Bake for about 45 minutes until the cake turns golden brown. It is cooked when a cake skewer inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.
TIP: The classic Bundt pan has many grooves where the batter gets lodged and sticks to the pan if it is not well greased. Greasing makes it easy to unmould cooked cake after baking. Bundt pans are available at ToTT stores in Singapore or online via Amazon.com. Alternatively, bake in a heart-shaped cake pan.
Eddie Tan, Youtuber and recipe blogger, is author of eBook, “Shiokman Peranakan Recipes”, a collection of authentic Nyonya recipes. http://www.shiokmanrecipes.com/peranakan-recipes
You might also want to try these Whip It UP! recipes:
Click on www.storm.sg/food for more recipes and reviews of restaurants.
If you have a simple recipe you would like to share, do email it to firstname.lastname@example.org