Leek Stirfry With Roast Pork
By Irene Quah
Leek or dasuan in Chinese is eaten symbolically during Chinese New Year (CNY) to usher in wealth – suan means to count. With all ingredients prepped for the wok, whip up this dish in under 5 minutes! Enjoy it as part of your get-together dinners comprising New Year Crystal Dumplings, Rainbow Yusheng and Golden Orange Butter Cake.
Total Time: 25 minutes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
3 medium leeks, cleaned and cut diagonally
1 small carrot, sliced lengthwise
1 tomato, cut into wedges
B: Roast Pork & Tofu
80g roast pork, cut into chunks
1 medium firm tofu, cut into pieces and rubbed with salt
1 tablespoon Hoi Sin sauce
2 tablespoons water
Pinch of granulated sugar
1. Trim roots from leeks. Peel away older outer leaves.
Wash under running water, taking care to rinse away any trapped soil between the leaves. Slice leek diagonally into 5cm pieces.
2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boiling point in a small saucepan; add carrot slices. Turn heat off and allow carrot to steep for 1 minute. Using cookie cutters of different designs, cut out carrot pieces.
3. Heat up oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Fry tofu until light brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
4. Toss garlic into the same saucepan. Fry until light brown, then add in white portions of leek.
5. Cook for 1 minute, then add green leaves. Pour in 65ml of water. Continue cooking for 1 more minute until leek begins to soften.
6. Add in tomato wedges. Cook for 15 seconds.
7. Toss in carrot, followed by tofu.
8. Add roast pork last so that its skin stays crisp.
Stir to combine.
8. Pour in seasoning. Toss ingredients until lightly coated with seasoning.
9. Serve immediately.
TIPS: Look for leeks with large bulbs as they are more fragrant. Fresh leeks keep well in dry conditions for up to 2 weeks. Do not trim away roots or wash leeks. Wrap them with newspaper.
PHOTOS: Irene Quah
Click on www.storm.sg/food for more recipes and reviews of restaurants.
If you have a simple recipe you would like to share, do email it to [email protected]
You Might Like To Try These Recipes:
Html code here! Replace this with any non empty text and that's it.